Thursday, December 26, 2013

Zero Gee Family



Zero Gee Family

          Each of my family has separately experienced involuntary zero-gee. Each of us had been on an airplane, flying separate from the other two of us; in each case the airplane hit an air-pocket and briefly entered free-fall. Our reactions differed, in telling ways.
          My wife Sherri reports that she, and everyone else on the plane, whooped loud. My daughter Hannah reports that she had been laughing just before the plane hit the air-pocket, and she continued to laugh during the plummet.
          I distinctly remember that everyone in the airplane gasped in unison, including me. Then I reached into my shirt pocket, pulled out my ticket, and let it loose in front of my face. It floated in zero gee. Then the plane’s wings grabbed air, and the ticket fell into my lap.
          While falling out of the sky, my wife whooped, my daughter laughed, and I did a physics experiment. Thus we cope with the stresses of life.
In my own case I was seizing a rare opportunity to do cool science; and also I was nerdishly distracting myself from mortal terror. Call it the consolations of philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment