Monday, January 2, 2023

The Crocodile

The Crocodile

 

One day a talking crocodile seized a human child who had strayed too close to the edge of the Nile. The child’s mother pleaded with the crocodile to return the infant. It replied, “I shall make you a deal. If you predict what I am about to do, then I shall return your child; otherwise I shall eat it.”

The distraught mother cried, “You’re going to eat my baby!”

The ruthless reptile said, “Ah, but now I need not return your child. For it I did so, then your statement would be false, and I would have every right to have your baby for lunch.”

The clever biped said, “But on the other hand, if you eat my baby, then what I said would be true, and you should have returned my child. So you promised, and I am sure that you are an honest predator who keeps his word; for if not, then what would the other crocodiles think?”

The scaly monster said, “Hm! We have a problem here! For how can I keep my word? The problem is unsolvable!”

The female human said, “Then I shall make you a deal. Let me make another prediction to you, O most righteous of reptiles, and you may decide on that basis.”

The aquatic predator said “So be it!” and slapped its tail upon the water. “If you predict my next move then you child lives, otherwise it dies! So what do you predict?”

The lady said cooly, “I predict, O honorable reptile, that you shall keep your word. You shall devour my beloved infant if and only if what I am now saying is false.”

The cold-blooded carnivore said, “Hm! That’s quite a poser! May I think about it over lunch?”

The woman retorted, “Certainly not. If you eat my baby, then your word is valid if and only if it is broken.”

The hapless beast said, “I see. The only way I can keep my word now is to give up lunch!”

“Your logic is correct,” the mother said triumphantly. “So hand the give over, Greenie!”

The crocodile flung the child forcefully into its mother’s arms. “I wasn’t hungry anyhow!” the crocodile snapped, then dove into the water with a slap of its tail.

Thus a bald ape’s quick thinking saved her offspring. Behold evolution in action!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment