Monday, July 5, 2021

My Credo

 My Credo

 

          If there is a God, then neither you nor I nor any other human understands God. Therefore what you, or I, or anyone else believes is irrelevant, for those beliefs lack understanding. From this, agnosticism follows logically. I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of God, nor any other attribute of God; nor can anyone else.

I believe that two plus two equals four. I believe that energy, momentum and spin are conserved. I believe that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, except near the poles. I believe that entropy in a closed system never decreases. I believe that water flows downhill, and you can’t unscramble an egg. I believe that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I believe that work expands to fill the time allotted. I believe that employees in a hierarchy tend to rise to their level of incompetence. I believe that love of money is evil's favorite motive, and abuse of power is evil's favorite method, and popular folly is evil's favorite opportunity. I believe that power corrupts and freedom creates. I believe that what is now proven was once only imagined. I believe that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. And I believe that all beliefs, including these, must be balanced and tested by doubt, and found to be good for yourself and for others.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment