Tuesday, January 26, 2021

A mathematician and a philosopher

 A mathematician and a philosopher         

 

NH:

I was chatting with a colleague of mine, a philosophy instructor, and I was moved to state my credo. I said, "I believe that two plus two is four. Not five, not even if you bribe me; not three, not even if you threaten me. Two plus two is four, neither more nor less, anywhere,  everywhere, forever and ever, amen."

My philosopher friend said, "Very good! But does the number four exist?"

 

DSL (another philosopher friend of mine):

But is your credo nothing but a tautology? That is a far more interesting and significant question.

 

 

NH:

Very good question indeed!

Yes, my credo is a tautology, and a good one too. After all, tautologies are always true.

There comes a moment when my students realize that what I'm telling them is obvious, so they don't need to pay me any more. But until then they do pay me. Sweet!

 

DSL:

Always true, but always vacuous.

  

          NH:

Of course, but that's not a bug, or even a feature; it's the operating system. These tools _shouldn't_ bear a meaning of their own; that would be prejudicial. If you want information - by definition risky - then use observation and experiment; arithmetic will clarify and organize that data, and add no further uncertainty.

Arithmetic is like a caveman's stone knife; not edible itself, but useful to get and prepare food.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment