Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The Non-Orwellian Conservative Faction

 The Non-Orwellian Conservative Faction

 

My theory about Republican anti-vax, which equals pro-covid, is that the R Inner Party genuinely wants as many as possible to get sick. Not themselves; they themselves are all vaxxed; just those in the disposable Outer Party. The reasoning is that a 2% fatality rate is acceptable losses for a loyalty test; also that it desensitizes the disposable Outer Party to mass death. After all, it’s ‘only’ 2%! Next their fearless Leaders will ask for ‘merely’ 3%. Then ‘merely’ 4%. And so on.

What, I begrudge a mere 2% merely dead? Ain’t I tuff enuff? Ain’t I so stoic that I can be as cruel to others as I’m cruel to myself? (Which is the classic flaw of stoicism.)

Why am I so upset about only 675,000 dead? Am I some kind of conservative? In the non-Orwellian sense of the word?

Well, yes. I find that the D faction is now the (non-Orwellian) conservative faction, in the sense of conserving life, liberty, property, norms, decency, rights, rational discourse, and rule of law. Which in practice also conserves the system as it is. Meanwhile the R faction is for Revolution Now! To Hell with nit-picking process details! To Hell with namby-pamby girly values like compassion and restraint! Let the freak flag fly! Let the Confederate flag fly! Let the world burn!

When I was a teenage lad, I was arguing with my Dad, for we liked to argue. He scoffed, “Ahhh, you’ll become a conservative in your old age!” Stung to the quick, I retorted, “If so, then it’ll be on my own terms!” Looking back, I see that we were both prophetic. He knew me, and I knew me.

No comments:

Post a Comment