Tuesday, July 23, 2024

The Fest

          The Fest

          After Kipling’s “The Quest,” tune by Leslie Fish

A knave came home from the fest

Haggard and dazed, he moaned

Weary and slovenly dressed

Staggering drunk and stoned

 

Partying takes no shame

Folly was first to arrive

Merrily toot the great cheroot

And drown out the government’s jive!

 

Chorus:      Here are my pants to mend

                   And here is my head to be shrunk

                   The party was long

                   And the drinks, they were strong

                   But I drank as much as I drunk!

                   Yah, I drank as much as I drunk!

 

O dark and deep the den

That thrummed of rock and roll

I couldn’t find a lady friend

And so I lost control

 

Utterly whelmed was I

Buzzed like a bee in a hive

Merrily toot the great cheroot

And drown out the government’s jive!

 

(chorus)

 

My senses have been through a blitz

But that’s what I already knew

You see my dazed and scattered wits

But never the minds I blew!

 

Matching them drink for drink

Good bargaining to contrive

Merrily toot the great cheroot

And drown out the government’s jive!

 

(chorus)

 

My folly you can’t compute

You say that my talk is absurd

But you didn’t salute the great galoot

And you didn’t give him the bird

 

Surely he comes to enslave again

But when you prove he’s lyin’

There will come to your help my broken yelp

From this lost weekend of mine!

 

(chorus)

         

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment