Wednesday, March 6, 2013

On Nonlaity Liturgy



On Nonlaity Liturgy

Two Yom Kippurs ago, I was sitting in temple, fasting, irritable, when I noticed that I liked the singing in Hebrew much more than I liked the singing in English. This was because I don't know Hebrew and so I heard only the music; whereas with the English verses my (fasting, irritable) mind automatically evaluated the lyrics. This statement's true, that one's false, this one's right, that one's ridiculous... It was like sitting next to a critique machine. But right then I didn't want theology, I just wanted music!

In religion, thinking is beside the point. Therefore it’s best when it makes no statements at all; second best if those statements have no meaning. Fortunately most religious statements are in the second category.




No comments:

Post a Comment